Sunday, October 4, 2009

So on my way down to North Carolina this weekend I was listening to my Itunes on the plane and in the back of my mind I was thinking what I would write in my blog for this week. I had writers block, had no idea what to write about. However I was listening to some Eminem music and I was paying close attention to his lyrics in the song "Sing for the Moment". I've always known that he constantly was in some kind of controversy with his music. So at one part of the song he says "It's all political, if my music is literal and I'm a criminal, How the f*** can i raise a little girl?" Thats when a light bulb popped in my head. I thought about what he says in this line and how it reenforces what the video we watched had to say about the music business. Ever since Eminem has been in the music business he has sold millions of records rapping about real life situations that catch society's ear. Eminem's music videos and lyrics may seem insulting or shocking but that is how he has sold so many records. Now in the quote he states how the music business is all political. It shows how as long as he is selling records and making money for the company he is doing his job. Just like in the video we watched, they tried to make a point that it comes down to how many records you sell, no matter how you do it!! In Eminem's case he sells records by controversial topics and hatred. Now the second part of the line is "if my music is literal and I'm a criminal, How the f*** can I raise a little girl". Here he basically saying that he is not what his lyrics come out to be. He is trying to say that in real life he is not a criminal and not what these critics have been making him out as this crazy in the head person. He is actually a loving father that can take care of his daughter. However this is the way Eminem has sold records!! So what I've learned about the video we watched this past week, was that these huge business companies that own these artist just care about how many records are being sold instead of the quality and talent these artist do have. Just sell singles, no matter how you do it. It seems like a cut throat business instead of something to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment