Sunday, November 8, 2009




Geico has many well known ad campaigns and it all started from the eye catching green gecko. Personally I never knew what they gecko was trying to advertise in his commercials but all I knew it was a funny little green gecko with a British accent and it caught my attention. When it comes to advertising, one campaign can't last forever so new ideas and icons need to be exposed. GEICO is a prime example of different types of campaigns and expanding beyond old boundaries.

Its hard to not know who the famous bright GEICO Gecko is. He works for one of the largest private passanger auto insurer in the USA. He plays with beautiful women, gets rides on bikes, in cars, even in his own van. He is a nation icon and seen all over GEICO advertisement's, but isn't it getting old? GEICO has made other ad campaigns such as the caveman, the stack of money and the pothole.



The caveman campaign to me is the best out of them all. It is funny and relates to modern days. The premise of the commercial in that GEICO advertises that using their website is so easy that a caveman can do it. It is a slogan that offends several caveman, who not only still exist in modern society but live as urban bachelors. If you think about it, making an interesting auto insurance advertisement is most definitely challenging but the caveman has been successful. The commercial is brought up when I'm hanging out with my friends because of how funny it is. Not that I have to worry about auto insurance yet but when it comes time I will think of the funny caveman and I will look into GEICO. Im sure that I'm not the only one that feels like this about these commercials.

The most recent GIECO commercial is the the talking pothole. I actually think its pretty funny, and gets the point across about the benefits of having GIECO emergency road service. And the southern voice, perfect. I give props to GEICO for coming out with a campaign I might actually enjoy watching.

This one we all remember. The stack of money with googly eyes, and that song. Still being used, but not the newest campaign. I have to admit, this stack of money did not raise my interest one bit when they first started airing this campaign. But after about 2-3 commercials I liked it. And the song is stuck in my head.


2 comments:

  1. I tend to find Geico commercials extremely pointless, and often i can't figure out how they are really promoting their "product" through the ads - beyond just showing the name. Yet, like you they also catch my attention, and along with allstate, Geico probably has the insurance commercials that stick to my memory the most - which must be considered a success for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cavemen commercials are yet another stand in for race relations in the US, reflecting Doug Holt's analysis of Coke's ability to show themselves as healing racial divides in the US. The cavemen are portrayed as discriminated against, even though they have reached a certain level of accomplishment in society (they seem to be educated, etc.), simply because of their appearance. I thought they were amusing, but was bothered by the idea that we're supposed to feel too sorry for them. After all, they seemed pretty upper middle class- what about all the struggling cavemen who can't get ahead? Also, they should never have tried to make it into a sitcom.

    ReplyDelete